LESOTHO MOVES TO LEVEL PURPLE
The Kingdom of Lesotho’s has now been placed under the Level Purple.
The changes from into effect from 23 July 2021.
Please note that there is a nationwide curfew from 9pm to 5am.
Movement across the border should include:
- Essential goods and services
- Business people including hawkers with permits and truck drivers
- Medical reasons (with permits)
- Migrant workers
- Pensions to collect their monthly pension in South Africa
- Students including student commuters
- Commuting teachers
- Funerals for parents, children, siblings and grandparents
- People with special needs and who shall be approved by the Minister of Health
What you will need to cross the border:
- International travellers entering Lesotho must show a valid PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival at the border.
- Please note that you must enter the country within 72 hours of taking the COVID-19 test.
Information pertaining to the border posts:
- The border post operational hours are restricted and re also in line with national curfews in Lesotho and South Africa.
- The various border post operational hours are the following:
- Maseru Bridge: 6am – 08:45pm
- Van Rooyen’s Gate: 06:00am – 08:00pm
- Qacha Bridge: 06:00 – 04:00pm
- Caledonspoort: 07:00am – 07:00am (Mon – Fri) and 08:00 – 04:00pm (Sat & Sun)
- Sani Top: 06:00am – 06:00pm
- Maputsoe Bridge: 06:00am – 07:00pm
New Regulations under the adjusted purple stage
|Public transport||– Operate at full capacity
– No standing in 22 seaters and buses
– Ensure short halts for long distance trips
– No eating in the vehicle
– Observe Covid-19 protocols
|Churches||– 30% capacity of the church inside only
– The service should last for not more than 2 hours
– Face marks covering nose and mouth must be worn through the service including when singing
– Allow one hour disinfection between services
|– Open on a rotational basis
– All must adhere to Standard Risk Based Guidelines
– School bus drivers must operate at 50% capacity disinfect daily
– Sanitise the students
– Ensure that students wear face marks at all times
|Liquor stores||– Liquor stores may operate from Monday to Friday
– Open from 08:00am to 06:00pm with take-out only
– Nightclubs to be completely closed
|Political gatherings||– Prohibited|
|Restaurants & Fast Foods||– Operate with 50% capacity for sit-ins from 06:00am to 08:00pm|
|Tourism industry||– Accommodation venues open with 100% occupancy
– Allow conferences, meetings and workshops at 50% capacity of the conference facility.
– Observe COVID-19 protocols.
|Sports events||– Non-contact sports permitted
– No spectators
– Observance of all Covid-19 protocols
|Gyms||– Open for not more than 50 people outside
– Observe all other COVID-19 protocols.
|Public transport||– Operate at full capacity.
– No standing in 22 seaters and buses.
– Ensure short halls for long distance trips.
– Observe COVID-19 protocols.
– No eating in the vehicle.
|Funerals||– Outdoor burial of not more than 100 people
– Men at the graveyard to help with burial
– Not take more than 2 hours and to be completed not later than 10am
– No night vigil
– No Friday evening prayers service
– No memorial services (virtual services only)
– Nuclear family member should identify, view and collect the corpse during the morning of the burial day at the mortuary
|Sports events||– Allow contact and non-contact sports without spectators with observance of all Covid-19 protocols|
|Hair salons, barbers, and nail salons||– To operate on appointment only from 08:00am to 06:00pm|
|Pitso (meetings)||– Maximum 50 people outside
– Observing COVID-10 protocols
– Food & alcohol not allowed.
– Should last not more than 2 hours
|Entertainment industry||– Not permitted for events and performance
– Only allowed to sell their music products on the streets
|Economic and Social Activities||– The following activities are 100% restricted:
– Initiation/ Traditional Schools
– Social/Family gatherings
– Public recreational areas (parks)
– Political gathering
– Industrial action (picketing, protests, demonstrations)
|Gambling industry||– Casino: the number of persons entering a casino shall not exceed 50%, based on available floor space of the casino
– Sport betting: the number of persons entering a sports betting site shall be determined by 105 meter social distancing. Television screening is not allowed
– Operate at 50% capacity of LPM space. Allow only independent site operators not sharing space with liquor and restaurant business
|Weddings||– Allow 50 people
– Wedding to last for 2 hours only
– No alcohol
– No buffet services
– Only pre-packed meals
|Any other businesses, public, private and NGO institutions||– Permitted with 50% capacity of staff with rotation
– Operate from 08:00am to 06:00pm
|Cultural and creative industries||– Restricted But allowed for promotion and sale of art|
|Walk in, over the counter, essential services (banks, utilities, communications companies)||– Open from 08:00am to 06:00pm
– Normal banking hours will apply
Latest statistics as at 23 July 2021
Source: Nacosec | Facebook